Monday, February 11, 2013

Pyth On

Mel Bochner, Pythagoras (4)
from wikipaintings

Arithmetical Design (quite a fun tumblr) posted this beauty today...

I thought that this was something that screamed to be dynamic. Off to the GeoGebra Cave, old chum!
















The sketch started with a right triangle, and then the regular polygon tool to make the squares on the side. I wanted the triangle connecting the next squares to be similar to the original, so I made the side of a square to be the new hypotenuse, rotated it by one of the non-right angles then used the perpendicular tool to make the similar right triangle. Finally, I constructed  the first two additional squares.

Clearly too much work to repeat in the dozens. To use the Create New Tool command you select item or items in the sketch. Then select the command from the tools menu. My first try I forgot that I would need the points to make subsequent squares. Delete the bad tool from the Tool Manager. (Can also rename there if you're trying for something more pythy than Tool 1.)



When I had the squares and vertices selected, the second step of the Create New Tool dialogue was to determine the inputs. GeoGebra will select some ancestors to start, but you can modify the inputs. In this case, GeoGebra selected my first two free points, which doesn't suit. I wanted the inputs to be the the endpoints of the hypotenuse. At the last step you select a name and can attach a custom icon if you're being tricksy.

Once I had the tool it was quick to construct the spirals, and then aesthetics like a coloring scheme and positioning. From the GeoGebra color dialogue you can click the plus, which brings up an RGB color input. (For those times when you need beige, 255-245-235.)

















I was going to stop there, but decided that people needed to be able to make their own spirals how they wanted, so added a checkbox to go back to the beginning. (If you make something send me the pic and I'll add it to the post.) Sadly the new points show up with labels - I don't know how to turn that off. Maybe if the labels are off before I make the tool? Tried that and it works!

Here's the finished sketch at GeoGebraTube: teacher page or applet. Sadly, the custom tools don't seem to show up in the HTML5 mobile applets yet.

Bochner has several mathematically influenced paintings, as well as the first three Pythagoras painitings. Check them out at wikipaintings.



3 comments:

  1. Maybe you have a quick way of generating all those points, but Sequence[] is very useful command for this sort of thing. Here is a an example:

    http://www.geogebratube.org/student/m30308.

    I suspect you could also have the color change depending on the place in the list as well, but haven't looked into it.

    ReplyDelete